Monday, September 27, 2010

2010.09.23 - Roast Pork with Raspberry Sauce, Leeks, Savory Monkey Bread

This meal used up the last of the raspberries that I picked this summer that I had in my freezer.  I guess I'm in for a long raspberry-less winter! 

Roast Pork with Raspberry Sauce

The pork was fairly good, if a little bland.  I used Penzeys' "Sandwich Sprinkle" blend instead of ground sage.  Next time I would figure out a way to make this in the crockpot.  The raspberry sauce was delicious, although I would use a bit less sugar next time.

Leeks Vinaigrette

I hate mustard, but can generally tolerate some dijon in vinaigrettes.  This was one of those situations -- the dressing for the leeks was good.  Next time I would cut off the leek roots after cooking - it would make it easier to eat and serve.  A had some texture issues with this, but J really liked it.

Savory Monkey Bread

As soon as I saw this recipe, I had to make it.  I have fond memories of making traditional monkey bread in home ec class in the 7th grade.  I had several issues with this recipe, although the end result turned out very good.  I prefer bread recipes that give a lot more instruction about why you are doing each rest, what the dough volume should do during each rest, and more clues about the expected texture in each part of the process.  I particularly don't like bread recipes that don't give an exact temperature for heated liquids when you are dealing with yeast.  I muddled through the best I could and thought it would be a complete disaster given how sticky my dough seemed (I added about an extra half cup of flour in with the whole wheat flour addition and the dough still wouldn't form a smooth ball), but it was a much better consistency after the second rise.  The process of covering each dough ball in the herb butter mixture was very messy.  In the future, I think I would make this more like traditional monkey bread where you cover the balls in dry seasonings and then just pour melted butter over the top.  I think I would also use the dough recipe from no knead pull apart bread instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment