Monday, September 27, 2010

2010.08.26 - An ambitious menu, including Dr. Pepper Ribs

Being unemployed provides a lot more free time to cook.  I took full advantage of this with a very time consuming and ultimately delicious menu. 

Country Ribs with Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce

I had my eye on this recipe for a while, and when country ribs went on sale, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to try them out.  I did them in the oven because I do not have a grill (side note: how many continuous hours of cooking would a propane grill actually work -- 5-7 hours on a grill seems insane).  I even broke one of my cardinal rules and left the house while the oven was on because they had to cook for so long!  The ribs turned out to be fall off the bone tender, fairly well shellacked with the sauce, and delicious.  The Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce was very good.

Nectarine and Tomato Salad

This salad was supposed to use peaches, but my produce provider was all out so I used nectarines.  It was good, but watery.

Lemony Potato Salad

I used greek yogurt instead of mayo, per usual.  I like the flavor of this potato salad a lot.  That salad is supposed to accompany sweet tea ribs, which is on my list to make someday!

Gluten Free Berry Cake

This cake was delicious!  I used frozen berries I had picked myself.  The batter ended up making a nice crispy, sugary crust.  Definitely serve with whipped cream.

Mint and Lime Iced Tea

This was delicious.  After reading the comments, I used only 1 cup of sugar instead of 1.5 and that was definitely for the best - I may use only a half cup in the future. 

Watermelon Lemonade

This was pretty good, but I liked the iced tea better.  I was too lazy to strain the watermelon puree, so it was a little grainy for a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment