Monday, September 27, 2010

2010.08.19 - BLTs, Pea Soup, FroYo



Ina Garten (the "Barefoot Contessa") is one of my favorite sources of recipes.  All of her recipes feed a crowd and always work every time.  I am also envious of her amazing house in the Hamptons :)  I bought myself the "Barefoot Contessa at Home" cookbook and wanted to make an entire meal out of it. 

California BLTs with Honey White Bread

I thought the bread was lacking a little something - maybe salt.  It wasn't as light and airy as I was hoping, and I didn't taste the sweetness from the honey at all.  It was serviceable, but nothing more.

I don't like avocados, but wanted to give them another try.  After making these sandwiches, I have confirmed I don't like them.  Texture issues :)  I prepared both regular and turkey bacon -- I wasn't a fan of the turkey bacon that night, but the next day I made some more and cooked the strips to be crispier and it was much better.  Turkey bacon lesson learned -- make sure it is REALLY done.

Pea Soup (served cold)

I used frozen peas because where in the world do you find fresh peas to buy?  I actually ended up preferring this soup warm instead of cold.  I thought it was ok, others seemed to like it more than I did.

Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

This was a pretty poor excuse for frozen yogurt -- a very chalky texture.  Maybe it's the brand of yogurt I used?

No comments:

Post a Comment