Saturday, April 28, 2012

2012.04.19 - Cuban Sandwich Quesadillas, Black Bean Salad, Banana Cream Pie

I always love a good crockpot dish -- and after making these quesadillas, I have a new pork favorite.

Cuban Sandwich Quesadillas

I cooked the pork for these sandwiches in the crockpot all day, and then assembled the quesadillas when I got home from work.  The pickle juice made the sandwiches a little too watery (especially the leftovers), but overall I really enjoyed them.  Nothing will beat a Cuban sandwich from Paseo, but you just can't get that food at home.  The leftover pork outside the quesadilla was delicious as well.

Modifications: No mustard.  Ew.

Southwestern Black Bean Salad

I found this salad to be pretty bland, but maybe I didn't add enough lime juice or salt.  I think it could have benefited from having some cumin added.

Modifications: I don't like raw onion, so I left it out.  I also didn't have any tomatoes on hand, so I substituted red pepper.  The avocado I bought went bad, so I omitted that as well.  No cilantro.  Ew.

Banana Cream Pie

This pie was super simple to make and was really tasty.  Everyone really enjoyed it.  The only strange part is that because you layer the banana on the crust, the crust and pie seem too separate.  Next time, I would put a thin layer of the filling on the crust, then the bananas, then the rest of the filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment