Sunday, December 11, 2011

2011.12.08 - Crockpot Chicken, Herb and Cheese Biscuits, Honey Vanilla Pound Cake with Orange Curd

I'm always looking for new crockpot meals to try, since it is the easiest way to get a Thursday dinner prepared after work before guests arrive.  J moved back to town, so it was also time to start experimenting with gluten free recipes again!

Creamy Crockpot Chicken

This was ok.  Nothing special.  I didn't find it all that creamy, and the proportion of chicken to sauce was too low. 

Herb and Cheese Biscuits

These were delicious.  They had a great texture (I could barely tell they were GF) and were easy to make.  I used dried "Italian Seasoning" and a swiss/gruyere cheese mix, and the flavor combination was great.

Honey Vanilla Pound Cake with Orange Curd

As you know, I love the Barefoot Contessa.  I wanted to make her honey vanilla pound cake, so I was quite pleased to find that Jeanne had already done the GF conversion of the recipe for me using her awesome flour mix!  Jeanne's GF recipes always turn out the best for me, and this one was no exception.  The pound cake was delicious and had a great slightly crunchy crust.

The orange curd was a bit confusing to me.  It was a completely different way of making curd than I'd ever tried before.  It did not seem to thicken up enough, even when I hit the correct cooked temperature, and it didn't thicken up much more in the fridge.  This was somewhere between a sauce and a curd in consistency.  I don't know if that's expected, or a problem in my cooking somewhere.  It was good, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment