Sunday, December 11, 2011

2011.11.06 - A Dog Birthday Brunch






Thursday dinner was turned into a Sunday brunch, since it was the 5th birthday of our doggie, C.  We've only had C a few months, so it was our first birthday with him.  I thought a brunch sounded like a fun way to celebrate!

We picked up bagels and cream cheese from our favorite spot and I made some sweet and savory breakfast treats.  And I attempted to make a dog cake :)  Chewie only got to eat a little corner, as he is only a 12 pound dog and has a pretty small stomach.  I think our little birthday boy had a good time :)

Spinach and Cheese Strata

This was delicious.  It is definitely my new go-to brunch item.  You can't go wrong with that much cheese, really, but the bread, spinach, and seasoned egg mixture all worked well together.  Great crunchy toasted bread bits on top and good consistency too.

Fruit Baked Oatmeal

I needed something for a MSPI (milk soy protein intolerant) friend, so I found a lovely vegan oatmeal.  I think I actually prefer using almond milk in dishes like this, as it lends a nice flavor to the dish.  The raisins plumped up nicely and the apples had just a bit of bite left to them.  I would definitely make this again.

Modifications: I omitted the chia seeds (can't get ch-ch-ch-chia out of my head) and used unsweetened almond milk as my non-dairy milk.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are one of my go-to fall cookies.  I love the pumpkin and chocolate combinations and the cookies are very soft.

Modifications: I omitted the nuts and frosting.  I made these MSPI-friendly by using soy-free earth balance instead of butter and Enjoy Life chocolate chips.

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Doggie Cake

C loves peanut butter, so I liked the sound of this dog cake.  It came out with more of a biscuit texture than a cake texture, so it was a little messy to eat.  It definitely wasn't a texture or taste for humans, but C didn't seem to mind :)

I made my own frosting of peanut butter and pumpkin whipped with some almond milk until it reached a frosting-like consistency.  I added pumpkin because C loves the flavor.  He liked his birthday cake a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment