Sunday, December 11, 2011

2011.12.01 - Parsnip Soup, Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad, Cranberry Sorbet

I forgot to take pictures this week!  Seattle is sliding into its dreary winter, so I figured a soup, some fortifying vegetables, and a seasonal dessert would be just the thing.

Parsnip Soup

Everyone loved this.  It was sweet from the parsnip and had the slight onion taste from the leeks.  I got to use up a substantial amount of my crazy-growing parsley plant, which was another bonus.

Modifications: I put in the zest of a lemon instead of putting in strips of lemon peel to fish out later.

Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad

This one got mixed reviews, but I liked it a lot. The dressing was nice and shallot-y and lemony and not too mustard-y.  It felt healthy in a good way :)

Modifications: I attempted to make the sauteed almonds, but I ended up burning them terribly.  I used regular raw almonds instead.

Cranberry Sorbet

What.  A.  Disaster.  This mixture never froze up in my ice cream maker and then only half froze up after an entire day in the freezer.  It ended up being mostly melty, syrupy cranberry sauce.  Blech.  I have no idea what happened, but this recipe did not work for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment