Monday, April 4, 2011

2011.03.31 - Chicken Paprikash, Buttermilk Ice Cream, Flourless Fudge Cookies

Somehow, not a single picture from this dinner.  Oops!

Leftover buttermilk and the need for a gluten free dessert let to an amazingly delicious ice cream and cookies combination this week.  I had been seeing chicken paprikash recipes pop up here and there, so I had it stuck in my head as something I wanted to make.

Chicken Paprikash with asparagus and mashed potatoes

The paprikash was good, but I wasn't crazy about it.  I think I just don't like the taste of paprika that much.  I served it with mashed potatoes, but I accidentally boiled the potatoes far too much, so it was more like mushed potatoes.  Yuck.  I steamed the asparagus following these neat instructions, and then served with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Modifications: Since I was cooking for eight people, I modified this recipe to work a bit better with what chicken pieces were on sale and how many pans I wanted to dirty.  Chicken "hindquarter" was on sale, but they were way too large to fit in a pan, plus they would have taken forever to cook on the stovetop.  I roasted the hindquarters in the oven with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika, and then picked the meat off after they were done and cooled.  I then cooked the recipe as instructed with some chicken thigh pieces and added in the roasted chicken meat at the end to warm up in the sauce.  I also omitted hot paprika/cayenne, since I don't like spicy food.

Gripes: Note to self, don't get caught up reading something on the internet while boiling potatoes.  Before you know it, they will be overcooked!

Buttermilk Ice Cream with Flourless Fudge Cookies

These cookies were fascinating to me, and also highly addictive.  Instead of using gluten free flours, these cookies just didn't use flour at all.  The dry ingredients were just confectioner's sugar, cocoa powder, and the usual leveners, and I suppose the structure was created via the egg whites.  They were chewy, crackle-y, and really chocolate-y.  I thought they went very well with the tang of the buttermilk ice cream, which I may prefer to vanilla! 

Modifications: As Deb discusses in the ice cream recipe, it calls for a ridiculous 12 egg yolks.  She said that you can get by with 6, so that's what I did.  The original version would go great with making an angel food cake, since that uses 12 egg whites!

No comments:

Post a Comment